11.17.2011

:: recycled newspaper birds


Here it is as promised,
my newest little holiday craft.

RECYCLED NEWSPAPER BIRDS

I thought these would be cute either on the tree....


or used as gift tags for presents...

 



they are really super easy & fun to make.


SUPPLIES:

pen or pencil
newspaper
scissors
embroidery floss
embroidery needle
hole punch
jute twine
cereal box 
bird silhouettes


DIRECTIONS:

1. Find  or draw a bird silhouette that you can use as a template & determine the size you want
TIP:  my birds are 6" & 8" wide 2 up on and 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper

2. Cut out paper silhouette & trace onto cereal box & cut out {this will be your template}
3. Take a sheet of newspaper fold it in half and trace your bird template then cut out your bird
4.  Thread your embroidery needle with 3 strands of floss about 22" long tie a good size knot in the end
5. Begin sewing the two pieces of newspaper together using a simple running stitch

TIP: begin stitches on the bottom of the bird leaving a 2" opening for stuffing 

6.  Shred up some more newspaper & scrunch up to make stuffing
7. Stuff your bird using the shredded newspaper & pen or scissors to push into smaller openings 
8. Once stuffed to desired puffiness, finish sewing closed & finish with a knot
9. Take your hole punch...find a good center point for hanging and punch a hole for your twine hanger.



EASY PEASY....

Now that you've got your first one done,
you can go into production mode as my mother calls it.
You can make more folds in your newspaper to cut out more silhouettes at a time.
If you really want to get speedy, you could sew your birds on a sewing machine...
but I much prefer the hand sewing, I think it lends to a simple rustic look.


So what do you think?
Do you like my little birdies?
Sorry my pictures are a little lackluster, 
it was another rainy gloomy day here...not great for photos.


{peace, love & hugs}
Carrie


Joining the Party @



Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I love them and look really easy to make, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    These are soooo adorable!! Totally gonna be making some with my girls :) thanks so much for sharing!
    xo,
    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO simple. SO cute!

    I have been collecting birds on our Christmas tree. I might have to sneak a little newspaper wren on there, too!

    I'd love you to link up to our Friday FREE-FOR-ALL Linky Party!

    http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/11/friday-free-for-all-linky-party-111811.html

    We meet each week on Fridays and you can vote for as many people as you want by pressing the "like" button. Hope you join us!

    All the best,
    Dana at Cafe D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these - so easy which is a requirement for me to do a craft!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They ARE cute! Perfect lil craft and I love the shape of the bird, too! andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Birds! I love this! My mister is a newspaper sports writer- we are going to make these out of the sports page as gifts for EVERYONE! Thank you so much for the inspiration!
    I'll link to you when I go hog wild with these!
    Many Thanks!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet little project!!! Thanks for sharing such a nice tutorial! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incrível! Sua criação está linda1 Sigo seu blog e gosto muito das suas artes.
    Querida tenha uma linda semana.
    Beijinho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a sweet idea! I wish I had extra time so many fun christmas projects calling my name! ahhh! hope you are well my freind! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, I like your little birds. Very pretty. You could cut them out of sheets of music and they could be song birds :o). You could do this with many different shapes such as angels and snowmen, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing your lovely faces & reading your sweet comments. Thanks for taking the time to visit me : ) * I do my best to respond by e-mail, if I miss you please forgive me. peace & love * Carrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...